Saturday, January 16, 2010

Run Ready?

So as some of you may or may not know I am big into running, and last year I really got back into it and got back into it to a point where last year was my biggest and best year ever in terms of training, and races run. I actually got so deep into it I started to lose noticeable weight. However over the past 6 months I have allowed myself to drift away somewhat from running and gained a good chunk of the weight I lost last winter, spring and summer back, but that's all about to change.
As you all know my amazing girlfriend Ashley and I a couple of weeks ago purchased the Wii Fit Plus system for the Nintendo Wii, and over the past week and a couple days I have been using the running applications in the cardio section. Now yes while this application has you running on the spot instead of actually running for real, it is a good substitute especially considering outside in Calgary in mid January doesn't always provide the best running conditions. One of the things I like best about indoor training with the Wii Fit Plus running apps is that they give you hills that your Nintendo Mi character has to run up, and run down along the course, as well as it attempts to get you to engage your arms in the running just as you do in real life.
Now on to my real running. I have picked two races this upcoming May that I not only wanna run but also do some hardcore cardio training for. The first being the Sportchek Mothers Day Run and Walk on Sunday May 9 2010 which Ashley and I will be doing the 5km run just as we did last year on Mothers Day. The second race I'll be running is the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon 10km run on Sunday May 30 2010. This one I'll be doing in all likelihood on my own as Ashley along with her mom and brother are doing the 5km run in that race.
My training for these and hopefully other races this year will also fall under my getting in better shape and better health goals towards living a happier and healthier life. My training plan includes weather permitting of course running outside at least 4 times a week starting tomorrow, and each time pushing myself harder for both greater distance, and better times. Other training ideas I'm gonna follow for this running season include: eating better, better portion sizes, better sleeps, not allowing myself to procrastinate about getting out there. Also the use of magazines such as Runners World, Canadian Running, Men's Health. And running books. An excellent website I used in the past and will again this year is this is an excellent sit to help you find good running routes, as well as tracking your running distance.
I will be keeping you all posted on my running progress through my blogging, just as I am with my fitness and weight goals.
I hope you all have a chance to do some running this year, and I wish you all the very best of luck all who are running races or just training this year. If you're gonna be in the Calgary, Alberta area on either of those weekends in May come out and run these two fabulous races. you can enter at: and for the 2010 Scotiabank Calgary Marathon go to

-Ben-

No comments:

Post a Comment